The pain is called Menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea). It is usually felt in the lower abdomen especially just before and during their menstrual periods.
During the menstrual period, your uterus contracts to help expel its lining. Higher levels of contraction are associated with more severe menstrual cramps
It can be caused by
1. Endometriosis. The tissue that lines your uterus becomes implanted outside your uterus
2. Uterine fibroids. growths in the wall of the uterus.
Adenomyosis. The tissue that lines your uterus begins to grow into the muscular walls of the uterus.
3. A pelvic inflammatory disease caused by sexually transmitted bacteria.
4. Cervical stenosis. The opening of the cervix is small enough to impede menstrual flow, causing a painful increase of pressure within the uterus.
5. Emotional stress- This can increase the chance of crumping
6. Lack of exercise- This helps reduce the experience
7. Delayed sleep phase syndrome – This increases the chance of getting crumps. During menses, one needs enough rest/sleep